Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Snow Day

It's supposed to snow tomorrow.  Supposed to.  That's what the forecast is--snow.  And lots of it.  We could have anywhere from 6 to 8 inches.  Now I know that I said I get the January Blues, but did I also mention that I get the Snow Adrenaline Rushes?  I do.  I love snow.

To me, there is nothing better than going to sleep one night and then waking up the next morning to the quiet loveliness of snow.  Nothing is more beautiful.  It blankets everything that is ugly and brown and barren.  It turns everything white and fluffy and clean.  And things stand out in the snow--birds, squirrels, chipmunks, and raccoons can easily be seen.

I love watching people walk and play in the snow too.  Kids love playing in it--no matter how cold.  Couples love walking in it--usually holding hands.  You can sit inside warm coffee houses just people watching.  And in my little town, all the trees have mini lights still twisted through their branches left over from Christmas.  Everything is twinkly and festive.  I hope they keep those lights up for at least a couple of months.  It's going to be winter again, and I love it.

These past few months we have had unseasonably warm weather.  Everyone here seems thrilled--I am not.  I like the 4 distinct seasons that we normally have.  I want crisp fall days and cold winter nights.  I want leaves on the ground in autumn and snow on the ground in winter.

It was 50 degrees out today.  Yes, I will admit I loved it.  I walked downtown with a friend and we sat in Starbucks for 2 hours chatting away.  The sun was warm, the birds were chirping--but, where, oh where, was my snow?  50 degrees in January?  No thank you!

Tomorrow though, it will be a different story.  Tomorrow it will snow, and snow, and snow.  Tomorrow, I will sit inside by the fire and watch from my window facing the river.  I don't think I'll go out tomorrow.  I think I'll stay home and make soup and enjoy the snow that is finally coming.  After all, it's January, it's winter, it's supposed to be cold and snowing.  So, I will enjoy the next several days.  I will watch my little critters play and I'll sit by the fire and read.  Maybe I'll clean out a closet or do something else useful.  Or maybe not.  Maybe I'll just take time out to watch the snow fall.  Maybe.


No comments: