Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Resolutions

I've never given much thought to New Year's resolutions.  The whole idea seems a little silly to me.  Making promises that you'll never keep, talking about things you'll never do--I don't know, it just seems like a waste of time.  Besides--I don't like failing, and the whole idea seems like a setup.

But then, I started thinking about the whole concept and a plan began to formulate.  What if I blog about the things I'd like to achieve this year and then the fact that it's actually out there in bloggerland--well, just maybe I'll get off my rear-end and do something.  I'll make promises and vows and agreements and I'll have to keep them or at least try or I'll look like an idiot.  An idiot who is also a failure.  Ouch.

So, here is my list of resolutions for the year of 2012--

I will take off another 15 pounds--oh, yes I will.
I will fly out to California to visit my parents.
I will shop more and buy less--I promise.
I will exercise more--even if it's just another 15 minutes on the treadmill.
I will try really hard to get even more personal in my blog.
I will try to go back to Europe--I need to save up for that.
I will try to get my bathroom remodeled this year--it's really ugly.
I will plant even more flowers this spring and then water them this summer.
I will try to throw more parties--and go out to lunch more often.
I will try to be more flexible and not so thin skinned.
I will try to sit on my deck facing the river more often.
I will try not to cry when I leave my grandchildren--I am getting better at hiding it.
I will try to watch less TV--no, forget that one.

And lastly but most importantly--I will pray more and try so hard to be the woman that God has called me to be.  I will listen harder and talk less.  I promise.

So these are some of the commitments I am making to myself.  They are out there now for all to see.  I am committed to making them happen.  However, please notice that I said try--and that's an important word in this little scenario.  Try.  I wonder if in a year from now I will laugh at myself for being such a simpleton or will I smile and be proud of my accomplishments?  I wonder--will I really lose 15 more pounds?  Will my bathroom ever get done?  Will I have yet more pictures of Europe to share?

Only time will tell and I've only got a year so I better get crackin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty good list and I don't see any extra work buried in there for me... Love, Jerry