Friday, January 6, 2012

Farm Fun

I think it's true what they say.  They say that you can feel weather changes coming in your joints.  They say that if you've ever broken a bone or if you have arthritis you can tell when a storm is coming.  That's what they say and I am inclined to believe them.

A couple of years ago I had an incident.  It was embarrassing at the time but it's a story worth telling--at least to me.  I want my grandson to hear about this, just in case he doesn't remember what happened when he grows up.  It's funny how many of these past accounts are written for them--my grandchildren.  I didn't see that coming at the beginning of my blogging life, but it's how it turned out, and I'm OK with that.

We were still living in Ohio at the time, my daughter and her family had come to visit during the month of August.  It was warm and sunny and we had lots of fun things planned.  One of those being a trip to a farm.  They held a big once a year event and we were all excited as we walked through little craft tents, had lunch, did a little wine tasting, watched cows being milked, dogs herding sheep--lots of family entertainment.

It happened at the dog herding event.  We all love dogs and I am especially fond of herding dogs.  There we were watching that cute little dog herding all those sheep up and down the arena, back and forth.  He was amazing.  He listened to every whistle and watched every hand signal, never missing a beat.  When it was over we stood up on the bleachers and began to all file down.  I, however, missed the last step.

Now here is where the story is seen through my eyes, as I was laying on the ground in the dirt.  I am sure that it might be a little different from the eyes of those standing around me wondering--why on earth wasn't I just getting up?  However, as I stood up to walk down the bleacher steps and got to the very last one that was truly only about 6 inches off the ground, my foot literally wrapped itself around the bottom step and I fell.  As I was falling I heard or felt a snap in my ankle.  The pain wasn't what laid me out though.  As I laid there in the dirt on the ground I went into a semi-shock state.  It was the strangest thing.  My family was around me trying to sit me up but every time I moved my head and tried to sit up I felt sick to my stomach, so I stayed there looking foolish just laying in the dirt.  My ankle immediately began to swell.  I could not focus on the faces of my family.  I could hear them taking but their voices kept fading in and out.  And I had to view everything through tunnel vision.  I remember being very concerned about how all this was affecting my grandchildren, I didn't want them to be afraid--all this was going through my brain as I laid there on the ground in the dirt.

My husband and daughter were conferring, my son-in-law had taken the grandchildren as far away as possible, the park officials were standing around looking bewildered and there I lay.  Finally, they asked--can you walk to the car?  Can you make it to this little golf cart?  I kept shaking my head no.  And the final question--do you need an ambulance?  And then I nodded yes.  I guess they knew something was wrong at that point because the next thing I knew I was being loaded into the back of an ambulance.  The attendants were extremely nice and stuck with me throughout the ordeal right up until I was seen by a doctor in the ER.  I do remember one of them running interference and not letting the nurse triage me out into a waiting area.  The EMT insisted that I be seen right away because I had been given morphine.  Did I mention that I love morphine?  I do.

After the comfort of a soft gurney (it was better than laying in the dirt on the ground) I was given even more morphine and taken to x-ray.  There they discovered that I had broken a bone in my foot.  Snap!  I was given an awesome air cast, some not so awesome crutches, and lots more medication.  And after just a few hours I was sent home.

I couldn't wait to see my grandchildren and explain to them that I was just fine.  That grandma was OK.  Also, I wanted to sport that new air cast.  I settled onto the sofa with my family sitting around me.  And then my little grandson who was 7 or 8 at the time asked me if he could sit on the sofa with me.  Of course, I said yes--pain or no pain, also remember I was heavily medicated.  He carefully settled onto one end of the couch and very carefully lifted my foot to rest on his lap.  And there we sat or rather he sat, I reclined.  His father was nervous at first that he was going to hurt me, but within seconds we could all see the gentleness on the face of that sweet little boy.  I think he and I sat that way for hours.  At least I hope we did.  It was the best.

It took weeks for that foot to heal up and months for the pain to subside.  Even now on cold winter days, it will ache.  So, I believe what they say.  I can feel the weather in my foot.  Oh yes, I can.  I eventually went from air cast and crutches to a cane.  My little granddaughter loved that cane!  She was known to grab it from the umbrella stand and start doing a 2 step around my living room.

It was all worth it though--breaking my foot.  Because I can close my eyes and still see my sweet little grandson sitting on the end of my sofa with him gently cradling my foot in his lap, with the most tender look on his face.  I wonder what he'll be when he grows up.  Him with his tender heart.

It was such a silly fall really.  Inches off the ground and I fall.  Who does that?  I guess I do.

Watching dog-herding one minute

broken foot the next

loved this walking cast

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the blog :-)