Thursday, February 27, 2014

Things I Miss About California

I was born and raised in California.  I didn't move away until the ripe old age of 46.  I moved to the Midwest, which might as well have been outer Mongolia.  The culture shock was truly that--a surprise.  It took me years to adapt.  However, now that I am nicely settled in, I'm doing pretty well.  There are lots of things to love about the Midwest.  Seasons, for example, I do love the change of seasons.

There are some things though that I truly miss about California--aside from my friends and family of course.  I have decided to share a few of those things with you.  Just because I want to--I'm in the mood.  So here they are, not in any particular order--just random thoughts of things I miss.

Mexican food--that's probably the #1 thing I miss most and it's also the most perplexing, aggravating, easily fixable item on my list.  Here in Chicagoland, we have tons of Mexicans.  My question is this--why aren't you opening up restaurants?  Yes, there are many Mexican restaurants here but I have yet to find one with that authentic California flair.  That's just my opinion though.

The ocean--Lake Michigan is not the ocean.  Enough said.

Mexican food

Lake Tahoe--I want feet of snow, not inches, and blue water, oh so blue

Mexican food

Chinese food--please refer to rant on Mexican food.  Same thing.

Thai food--same as above

The PCH--if you don't know what this is, you are not from California

Mexican food

My favorite fast food joints--In & Out, Jimboys, Rubios

Pine trees--all types

Mexican food

Real people--by that I mean that you can't tell rich from poor by the way people dress

California casual--the best dress code anywhere bar none!

Mexican food

Year around flowers

Flip flops and hoodies--all the time

Mexican food

My swimming pool--floating, tanning, relaxing, daydreaming

San Francisco--especially Chinatown

Mexican food

Camping in the redwoods--shut up, I camped!

Sierra Nevada Mountain range

Driving Highway 1

Free highways--big pet peeve of mine, here we have tollways

I really do miss Mexican food

Beach towns and trinket shops

Camping on the ocean--yes, I said I used to camp!

Napa--I love driving through the vineyards, especially during the fall

Apple Hill--where you can get all things apple

Foothills--aka, the gold country, beautiful dogwoods

Orchards--mile after mile of trees and blossoms

Fruit stands--stopping and buying bags of whatever, super cheap!

Flea Markets and Thrift Shops

Ethnic Restaurants--every type you can imagine

Yes, there are so many things I miss about my home state of California.  And while people here poke fun at her, I will always defend her.  For she is beautiful, from the mountains to the valley, she will forever be my real home.

Now, I must go in search of Mexican food--I've made myself pretty hungry!











No comments: