Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Jar of Coins

This little jar of coins sitting on my counter has once again caught my eye.  I keep looking at it and wondering--why?  Funny that I feel the need, no maybe the desire to talk about this little jar.  This jar is so insignificant, so simple, so not important, and yet each time I walk by it, I feel a pull.  I've written other blogs about my experiences at Triennial.  It was a woman's conference that I attended last summer in San Diego.  A lot happened to me while there--emotionally and spiritually.  I learned much about myself, about who God wants me to be and about what God wants me to do.  Which brings me to another short little side story.  It really isn't anything very notable yet, but maybe someday it will be--maybe someday.

I came home from that very special retreat with the funniest request from God.  While in prayer I felt that He was asking me to start saving coins.  So I immediately went out to a local discount store and bought myself a little coin counting jar.  Altogether I think it will end up holding just about $100.  Once full I plan on taking the jar of coins into my bank and exchanging the coins for paper money.  I will then lay the crisp $100 bill at the bottom of my coin jar and start the process of coin collecting once again.

God does and always has laid different things on my heart--some big, some not so big, but I found this desire to become a coin collector very interesting.  I wanted to know just why I was saving these coins.  Was it for me?  A friend?  Someone, whom I've yet to meet?  I do have the impression it's to go towards the next Triennial in 3 years.  To pay the way for someone.  Maybe even me, who knows.  I don't know where I will be in 3 years.  With my track record of moving about with my husband--I could end up anywhere!  I might need the money from this little jar to get me to the next retreat.  Or, I might be saving it for someone who needs a little extra help getting there.  Whichever God chooses, it is important for me to be obedient--I just know that I need to save my coins--that's how strong this desire has become.

And so, I've been saving.  Even my husband had gotten into the game.  All spare change goes into my coin jar.  I'm almost up to the $100 mark.  And then I'm off to the bank.  I can hardly wait.  Every time I get some change--into the jar it goes.   You know what's funny though?   I find myself praying over that little jar.  Who is this for Lord, who is this for?  It's exciting.  It's like God and I have a special little secret.  And you know what's even funnier?  I'm doing a Bible study about secrets!  Sacred secrets.  Ha!  What are the odds?  I just love how God works.  I love how He teaches me through the simplest of lessons.

A very small task, a small jar of coins, simple obedience for a great big God.



No comments: