Monday, January 7, 2013

My Word For The Year

This is my first blog post since the beginning of the new year.  I've been extremely busy as have most.  However, I really haven't had too much to say.  I've just been doing, and doing, and doing.  I've been going, I've been busy, I've been getting back to life--post-Christmas.  All of my decorations are put away, my husband has returned to a regular work schedule and this week my life returns to a somewhat regular pace.  Somewhat.  I say somewhat because there are some new things happening for me, some exciting things, some challenging things.  But first, my word for the year.

I hadn't heard of this concept before this past Sunday.  Our pastor talked about praying and asking God to give us a special word, just one word that would motivate (my word not his) us throughout the year.  As usual, God began speaking to my heart, and my brain took off in a direction that I had no control over.  You see, the night before I woke up with a portion of scripture running through my mind.
It was Isaiah 61, which reads--

61 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
    and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor.

I laid there in bed for a long time thinking about these verses and I wondered, what is God saying to me?  And then, the next morning--I heard the sermon at church.  The question was right there in front of me and I already had received the answer.  I knew what my word for the year would be.  And still, I have not said it out loud, I have not shared it with anyone.  I think because it is a scary one for me.  There were a few other words that popped into my mind during Sunday's sermon, easier words, words that were more fun.  However, they weren't my word, at least not for this year.

This year is going to be one of the busiest years I've had in a long time.  This week I resume my regular ladies Bible study at church, and our weekly couples Bible study starts up again.  I have my monthly book-club meetings and I meet my friends for coffee each Friday morning, and there are also numerous other things I get myself mixed up in, along with cooking, cleaning, and laundry.  That sounds like enough for anyone's plate in my opinion.  However, this year I begin a new chapter in my life.  I am training to become what is called a Stephen Minister.  I will go through 50 hours of training and then am committed to helping for 2 years.  Personally, I believe it will stretch into a life long commitment, but I'm not telling anyone about that either.  It'll be my little secret.  Also next month I begin training with a group called AVA--advocates for victims of abuse.  I also have 2 seminars this summer that I hope to attend in different states and I have my 40th high school reunion to plan for.  I haven't even thought about next fall yet, but I'm sure I'll be busy.  At this point, I bet I sound a little crazy and just a bit overextended.

Yes, I shall be a very busy person this next year.  And I'm wondering why I feel such a peace about everything.  Why am I so excited?  Why am I not overwhelmed by all the stuff going on in my life?
Why?  Because my word for the year, the word that God dropped into my heart, the word that will carry me through my tired, whining, selfish days is serve.  I will serve Him, my God, with all my heart.  I will do my utmost.  And when I do get to a place where I feel that I can't do anymore (which I am sure I will have those days) I will remember this portion of scripture that God gave to me.  It will give me strength, it will comfort me, it will excite me, and it will also humble me.

This year I will serve.  What a great year this will be.  So if you have the time and if you think of me, please pray for me.  I will need those prayers.

1 comment:

bette said...

I will keep you in my prayers Veda. I have friends ho have completed the Stephens ministry program an loved it. I am sure many blessing ill come from your serice