Monday, April 30, 2012

Travelin' Bug

I was bitten a long time ago, maybe 20 years or so.  It wasn't a big bite at first.  No, at first I was satisfied with the domestic traveling that I had done.  I had gone to several other states, I had seen--sea to shining sea, I had camped near the rain forests in Washington state, and I had eaten Key Lime pie in the Florida Keys.  Yes, I felt pretty darn good about my travel experiences. And then, well, then it happened.
As silly as this sounds I went to Hawaii.  Now, don't go getting all logistical on me, I know it's a state!  However, my point is, it sure is different from the rest of our mainland states.  It's a whole new ball game over there on those little islands, culturally speaking that is.

As I boarded that plane, knowing that I'd be in the air for 5 hours over water, I have to admit that mixed with excitement and anticipation, I was sweating just a little bit.  It was the furthest I had ever been away from land.  And when I landed?  Well, when I landed I thought it pretty much looked like heaven.  Palm trees and flowers everywhere, and the bluest water I had even seen.  It was fantastic.  We were there for 8 days, and when it was time to come home, I cried.  I really did.  I shot 8 rolls of film--yes, it was before the days of digital cameras.  I think I was a photo bug even then.  Who knew?

We did everything on that trip, we were the quintessential tourists, in fact, it was probably stamped across our foreheads as we tried our best to experience all things Hawaiian.  And we did.  We did it all, from sailing to dining on the beach, to glass bottom boats, to a pineapple plantation tour, to a submarine ride, yes, we did anything and everything that screamed Hawaii.  We had a blast and thus sometime, somewhere on that trip--I was bitten.  I'm almost positive that's where it happened.

Over the many years that followed we have traveled extensively.  To me, this has been a blessing, an answered prayer, a dream being realized.  I love traveling.  And so does my husband.  We are, by our own admission, somewhat crazy.  We love airports, planes, taxis, large foreign cities, and all types of peoples and foods.  The term adrenaline rush doesn't begin to cover the gamut of emotions that we feel as we travel.  No, that would just be the tip of the iceberg.  We are addicted to travel.  Fortunately, my husband's career has taken him all over the world, which by the way has only fed the aforementioned addiction.  He has been to many more countries than I, however, I do plan on changing that soon.

Is there really a travelin' bug?  I think so.  How else would I ever be able to explain the wanderlust in my heart?  It is much easier to place the blame on a bug, an insect, a tiny little defenseless thing than to place the blame of travel love on me!  It's either the bug or my husband's fault that I buy travel magazines, that I pour over pictures on Pinterest and Flicker and various other websites.  It's either their fault or mine and I'm not quite ready to assume that responsibility yet.  No, for now, I'll blame it on a bug.  I'll read my magazines, surf the net, and dream.  Dream big of travel--the sights, sounds and smells, the cobbled streets and little boutiques, the beautiful buildings and kind people.  I will dream.  And I will not slap that little bug away, no not at all.  I've grown to love that little bug, and plan to take him on all future trips to inspire me to go on many, many more adventures.  And in the meantime I'll look through my pictures and remember and long for--travel.


Eiffel Tower

Great place near my hotel

Painter on the River Seine

Notre Dame

Great coffee



1 comment:

Jerry said...

How about a few more pictures? Italy, Spain, and the UK are feeling left out... after all, you have been there many times as well!!