Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Soul Must Sing

I think that it just might be the only way I know how.  It just might be the way I express my love, adoration, thoughts, emotions, and thankfulness.  Yes, I'm pretty sure about this one thing.  I think it might be how I do it.  Let me explain.

The discussion came up among friends concerning our worship time in the church we now attend.  Please understand when I write what I am about to write that I love the little church that God has brought us to.  I believe with all my heart that this is exactly where He wants us.  There is a reason that we are there.  I believe that while we are attending we are going to grow in our relationship with Him and with our new friends there.  We will mature and learn and experience God in a new and exciting way.  That being said--well, that being said, they, in turn, will glean something from us.  At least a little something.  At my age I have a little something to bring to the party, so to speak.  I've been a Christian for 50 years, a real Christian, not a pretend one or one that only leans on God when necessary, no, I've been a real one.  I do not say this with pride, I say it with truth.  I love, serve, obey, trust, live and worship God with all my heart, soul and mind.

So, what point am I trying to make?  What subject am I really wanting to talk about?  What exactly is on my mind today?  Worship.  It's a big word, in and of itself.  It means a lot to me.  Some think of it as just going to church.  We go to church to "worship" God.  However, to me, it means so much more.  It isn't a noun to me that's for sure.  It's a verb.  It's a word of action.  Here is Veda's definition of the word worship--singing, hands in the air (or clapping) praising my Creator, my Savior, tears of gratitude flowing, adoration, thanksgiving, gratefulness, complete humbleness before my God, my father.

You see, I was made to worship God.  I can't not worship.  I listen to worship music in my car and in my house all the time.  I love it.  In fact, it's the only kind of music I really truly love.  And since the wonderful invention of the smartphone, I've been able to listen to Pandora radio or Amazon Music everywhere I go.  I program in Praise and Worship or Contemporary Christian music and I am transported to my own little church service in my head.  It's awesome.  I can be in my car singing away or in my house either listening to my music via my phone or even my TV!  It's wonderful.  My whole house can sound like a Christian concert.  Sometimes I wonder what the neighbors think, but then I'd like to think they secretly like it.  I hope so anyway.  Don't worry, it's not that loud.  Not really.

I keep thinking about all the places in the Bible that talks about worshiping God.  We're told that if we don't do it, the rocks will cry out, and the trees will clap their hands.  Some way, somehow, God's creation will worship Him.  He'll make sure of that.  So why aren't we doing it?  Why aren't we willing to sing out to Him, hands in the air, praising Him?  What are we so afraid of?  Someone might see us?  Someone might make fun of us?  What is it that holds us back?  I wonder about these things sometimes when I am standing in my little church singing worship songs to and about my God.  Why aren't others joining me in worship?  Do they not feel His presence?  Are they just afraid?  Or do they judge me as being inappropriate?  Sometimes I can't help but wonder.

In our conversation that night the definition of worship was different even among the friends we were talking with.  Some like older hymns, some like contemporary music, some like slow, some fast, some like choirs, while others don't.  Me?  Well, I'm not a hymn person nor a choir person, I prefer praise music that flows into worship music, fast to slow, from clapping hands to upraised hands.  It's a personal preference.  And that's OK.  I just know one thing for sure--as long as I can sing I will.  As long as I can clap I will and as long as I can raise my hands in surrender I will.   No matter who is watching or judging me.

My soul must sing to God, it must, or I will burst!  I was made to do that one thing.  To worship Him.  To praise Him.  And whether I am mocked or not--I will sing.  My soul must sing.  


Psalm 98



A psalm. 1 Sing to the LORD a new song,
   for he has done marvelous things;
his right hand and his holy arm
   have worked salvation for him.
2 The LORD has made his salvation known
   and revealed his righteousness to the nations.
3 He has remembered his love
   and his faithfulness to Israel;
all the ends of the earth have seen
   the salvation of our God.
 4 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth,
   burst into jubilant song with music;
5 make music to the LORD with the harp,
   with the harp and the sound of singing,
6 with trumpets and the blast of the ram’s horn—
   shout for joy before the LORD, the King.
 7 Let the sea resound, and everything in it,
   the world, and all who live in it.
8 Let the rivers clap their hands,
   let the mountains sing together for joy;
9 let them sing before the LORD,
   for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
   and the peoples with equity.




No comments: