Thursday, January 30, 2014

Low Carb Lasagna--Cauliflower Noodles

I am always looking for that one in a million recipe for my low carbing lifestyle.  And while consistently perusing the internet, every once in awhile I stumble upon one that intrigues me.  Such was the case of the cauliflower noodle concept.  You see, one of my favorite ethnic foods is Italian.  And what has more carbs than almost another other foods?  Italian.  So, it stands to reason that I've been more than a little depressed over my lack of Italian goodness.  Until I discovered cauliflower and all of its many uses.  Noodles being one of them.

This is my own rendition of Lasagna using cauliflower, we loved it and hopefully, you will too!

For the cauliflower noodle, yes I noodle not noodles.

I head cauliflower--finely chopped
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 eggs
1 T oregano
2 cloves of chopped garlic

Steam cauliflower in a big bowl in the microwave for about 10 min.  If need be use a potato masher to maker the pieces really small.  I use a food processor prior to cooking so that I don't need to do this.  Mix in the remaining ingredients, I just use my hands.  Lay a sheet of parchment paper over a jelly roll pan. Press down the cauliflower dough to make a big giant rectangle.  Don't worry about it being perfect, just press it all out into a big thin looking crust.  Bake in a 350 oven for 45 minutes.  When done, take it out and let it cool for a few minutes.  Then remove it from pan and cut it in half.

For the layers--

1 large jar low carb meat spaghetti sauce
16 oz ricotta cheese
2 to 3 cups mozzarella cheese
3 cups fresh baby spinach

Take a 9 x 13-inch baking pan, and pour about 1/4 of the sauce over the bottom of the pan, smooth it all out.  Then take that great big cauliflower noodle, that has been cut it in half and gently left it into the 9 x 13-inch pan.  Layer with the cheeses, spinach and another 1/4 of the sauce.  Put the other half of the noodle on top and layer again with the remaining ingredients.  Easy peasy.

Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes.  Enjoy.  Trust me, it's so good.


No comments: