Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Just A Thread

I've been crocheting like a crazy lady lately.  From throws and baby blankets to scarves and hats--yep, I've been crocheting my little heart out.  Mostly just to keep busy in the evenings while watching TV with my husband.  I also tend to eat a little less when my hands are busy--at least I'd like to think so.  I've also been experimenting with some new yarns and patterns, I even took a private lesson the other day.  I've been having fun with yarn.  I've been making things.  I've had a feeling of contentment, crocheting while it's cold and snowy.  It's been nice.

So why a blog about crocheting?  Well, something a little weird happened in the wee hours of the morning.  And I feel strongly that God wants me to share it.  I woke up at 2:30 am with tears streaming from my eyes.   I laid there praying and asking God--what are you saying to me, Lord?  I didn't hear anything from Him for awhile, so I just prayed.  I prayed for my friend who was just diagnosed with cancer, I prayed for my family, I prayed for my friends.  I prayed and asked God to use me, to purify my heart before Him, I asked Him to continue to teach me, to always remind me that I serve Him and not the other way around.  I must have prayed for about half an hour when He then began to speak to my heart.  I sure hope that I can convey in this short piece what I saw and felt and learned from Him this morning.  It made sense to me, so I'll share it here.  Maybe it'll resonate with you too, maybe not.  But I'll let God sort that out.

This is what I saw--He showed me a single thread of yarn.  And told me that it was me.  Just a thread.  I was just a thread.  A simple single thread.  There I was just laying there doing a whole lot of nothing--until--until a crochet hook came along.   Once that hook took hold of that thread big things began to change, began to happen, began to take shape.  With that hook, that little simple piece of thread came to life.

As God began to crochet with my simple piece of thread I began to see a pattern.  He took that yarn (that was my life) and He made something from it.  Each time He wove a piece of my yarn over His hook things happened.  Life took shape.  Growth, change, life, everything began to fall into place--as long as I let him do the work.  As long as I let Him do the weaving--in and out He went, using the thread of my life, and things worked smoothly.  He made things with me.  He used me.  However, the minute I tried to take hold of that hook, things began to unravel.  Quickly.

There I was in the middle of the night laying in my bed, with tears rolling down my face asking God to please help me--help me not to try and take that hook and make it do what I want it to do.  Help me to relax and realize that I'm just the thread.  Help me to step back and look at the intricate pattern of my life that He and He alone has created.  Help me to surrender, to trust, to accept each time that hook wraps my yarn around it--help me to let go.

I fell asleep with that prayer in my heart--thanking God for everything I could think of.  Worshipping Him and praising Him for each and every circumstance in my life.  And asking Him to give me strength and for His Holy Spirit to comfort me.  I fell asleep in the arms of my God.

When I woke up this morning I was surprised at how vivid and fresh last night's experience was.  I had my morning coffee, and my prayer time and then heard Him gently tell me to share it.  So, whoever is reading this now or in the future, whoever this is for--know this--God has a reason for every single thing He does.  Nothing is out of His control.  He is the master weaver.  And us?  Well, we are just a thread.


No comments: