Monday, July 29, 2013

Bookmobile

I was giddy with excitement in those days.  The day when the bookmobile would pull up in front of the school.  It was always one of my favorite days during my elementary school years.  Grade by grade, class by class, we were lined up and allowed--just a few students at a time, to enter and browse.

Some of you might wonder just what in the world I am talking about.  A book what?  Mobile what?  I thought they were the thing back in the 60's, however, after a discussion among friends I soon found out that those little libraries on wheels did not exist all over this nation of ours.

No, in fact, I was the only one of us who had experienced this life changing event.  I'm not exaggerating, not at all.  For I truly believe that that bookmobile changed my life.  I can remember climbing up the steep bus stairs, holding onto the metal rail, eyes big and trying hard to peer inside.  It had been turned into a mobile library for children, and as I finally made my way onto that most wonderful of wonderfuls, I knew, I knew that I was just where I was meant to be.  In a bus full of books.  There were no windows in this bus--only 3 tall walls of children's books.  Two very long sides and the back wall of the bus were lined with books.  Books about dogs and horses, books of mystery and travel.  I couldn't get enough of the smell and the feel of each book.  I did not want to ever leave.

Yes, I loved bookmobile day.  I can't remember how often it came, but I do know that those days were the best days.  Leaving class early, standing in line, waiting my turn, and then--books, all sorts of books.  Books galore!

I lived in the Los Angeles area at the time.  I'm wondering if maybe those libraries on wheels were for more of the inner-city type of kids.  No matter--I still loved watching that big bus pull up along side the school.  I loved waiting in line for my turn.  I loved letting my eyes wander over each and every cover.  I was mostly looking for anything Lassie related.  I was in love with Lassie and often pretended that she was laying right next to me while I read.  I later (via one of those books) found out that there was also a dog named Laddie, another collie.  I loved reading about horses too.  Black Beauty, Flicka--any kind of horse would do, I just loved reading about them all.

So just how did going into that bookmobile change my life--well, later as a teenager I ended up riding, showing and owning 2 of my own horses.  I've also owned 2 collies and 3 Shelties--thus far, and my life isn't over yet.  Those books from my childhood also gave me an interest in travel, as I read about Heidi and her adventures.  Books--I believe they changed my life.  I didn't become an I can't do anything type of person, instead, I become an I can do anything type of person.

If you ever want to do something really great for a child--buy them a book.  It just might play a huge factor in who they one day become.  You just never know.

No comments: