Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Congo Part 2

I'm not used to this.  The part where there might be danger.  I am used to my husband traveling, however.  To Europe, to Asia, to South America and all over the US.  He has traveled for his company all our married life, so I am used to that.  But Africa?  No.  And every so often--I'll admit, my stomach clenches a little when I think that he might be in harm's way.  I am not a worrier by nature.  I am a warrior by nature.  A prayer warrior, an intercessor, a pray-er.  So I am surprised when suddenly out of nowhere a feeling descends upon me that at times takes my breath away.  Emotions wash over me, thoughts invade my brain and I find myself momentarily paralyzed.

It's over quickly however as I immediately begin to pray.  My first thought is that God will protect them, wherever they are--He is there.  I begin to relax, I take a deep breath and I am ready for phase 2--trust.  Complete trust that God is in control of this endeavor of theirs.  An excitement slowly builds as I realize that they are most likely having the time of their lives.  They are functioning in their calling.  And believe me--there is nothing better.  To be walking in complete obedience to God--well, nothing compares to that.

I am so thankful for my friends here.  I can feel them praying as I am praying.  I know they are praying not only for him and the team but for us that have been left behind.  One of my friends actually started a schedule of people praying during specific hours.  Yes, that little team is covered by our prayers.

My husband has been able to periodically keep me up to date.  For example, I know that at one airport they sat on the tarmac for a couple of hours while their plane had to return to the gate twice for mechanical repairs.  I know that they barely made their connection in Brussels.  He also was able to video chat with me while on the plane for a couple of minutes after landing in their first African city.  He and his team had the biggest smiles I've ever seen.  They were in their element.  They were giddy with excitement--they were in Africa.

I received one more phone call once they were at their destination.  They had just finished packing up the caravan of cars with the trunks and goods they had brought from the States when guess what happened?  A flat tire!  Oh well, that was easily repaired.

We said our goodbyes, again.  We said our I love yous, again and then we hung up.  I don't know when I'll hear from him next.  So I will pray.  And pray.  And pray.  For him, for his team and for the people of Africa.

No comments: