Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I Won't Hide

It is no secret that I am a Christian.  I have never hidden it, I never will.  However, in making that statement, I am fully aware that a lot of others profess the same as I and yet...they are nothing like me.  So what makes me different?  In my opinion, it is what I stand for.  It is what I believe in.  It is what I live for and live out that sets me and others like me apart.  It is not what I am standing against, but it is what I am standing for.   Are you reading between the lines here?

For example, I stand for my belief in God, His son Jesus, and the Bible.  No secret there.  I stand for my husband and family, for true friendship, for love, acceptance, and forgiveness.  That's a big one.  Forgiveness.  You might wonder, who does she have to forgive?  Well, that's my business and something not to be shared in this particular venue, but believe me, when I say--I have forgiven those who have deeply hurt or condemned me.  I had to, and I was told to--by God.  And so I did.  It wasn't easy, in most cases I had to swallow my pride, but as with anything worth doing or having, being a person with a forgiving heart is worth it--for my own spiritual well-being.

What else do I stand for?  Well, I stand for godliness.  This love, God's love is extended to all people of all nations.  It's simple for me--love your neighbor as yourself.  Simple.  Be willing to lay your life down for a brother.  Be the way that God intended.  Kind, gentle, loving...is it really that hard?

What I don't want to do as a Christian, as a believer, as a follower of Christ is to stand against something.  Wait, let me explain--I want to have and to live a life that is for something.  I want to live for God, for all things that are good, for love, and for holiness.  I don't want to waste my time or God's for that matter worrying about the things that I can't change.  I want to spend my time thinking and praying about the things that God can and does change.  And guess what?  I know someone--I know the One who changes things!  It's not me, I can't change a thing.  However, I serve someone who can.  As I pray, as I seek God, as I worship Him, as I lean on Him, I wait and I watch.  As He changes the important aspects of and in my life and in the lives of others--He changes this sinful heart of mine into something He can love and be proud of and He does this very patiently.  He is after all--my father.  Come to think of it--He stands for me!

Do I ever get impatient?  Of course, I do--I am the human one.  The one who fails, the one who is weak, the one who is needy, the one who cries out to her God, the one who can do absolutely nothing without her God.  Yes, that is me--in a nutshell.  The human.  I am the one who stands for God my creator.

Why would I hide who I truly am?  Why would I be ashamed of who I love with all of my heart, soul, and mind?  I don't see others hiding their beliefs or life choices.  In all sources of media--others display their lives, their values, their beliefs.  So, in my own little world of media--i.e. my blog, I will declare mine.  I will set my heart and eyes on God.  I will be patient, hopeful, trusting, loving and kind.  I will endeavor to be like the God I serve.  Oh, I will fail.  You can be sure of that--but I will try and when I do fail, I will ask to be forgiven.  He's just that kind of a loving God.  Just like He says He is.  And He will forgive me and let me try again and again.  I will try to walk in the footsteps of His son Jesus.  I will not act hateful, vengeful, selfish, mean or judgmental.  No, I will not.  So, if you ever see me behaving in that manner, I hope and I pray that you gently correct me.  And remember this, if you ever need me, just ask, I will be there for you.  No matter what you believe in, or whom you believe in, I will be there.  A friend.  A pray-er.  A sister.  A follower of Christ.  I will not judge you or condemn you.  I will just pray to the One who has the answers to all of your questions.  The One I stand for.

If God is love then why should I be hate?  I want to be there for the friendless, the hopeless, the broken.
I want to be the person that others can come to with questions about life and about God.  I want to be that friend.  The one who stands for something--something sweet, something kind, something godly.  I guess the bottom line is this--I want others to know what I stand for by my actions and deeds even before I tell them.

This is what I stand for and I won't hide.


No comments: