Sunday, March 27, 2011

Flying

I love flying and I love airports.  When I drive by an airport I begin to hyperventilate.  I can feel the excitement flow through my veins.  I want to go somewhere--anywhere!  Maybe it's because I was 35 years old before I ever flew on an airplane.  I know, I was pretty old.  However, I believe that's why I appreciate the aspect of travel, I love experiencing new things and meeting new people.  I was terrified the first time I flew.  I got to the airport and had to learn a whole new world.  Which shuttle to take, which line to stand in, where to take my luggage, etc.  Once seated on the plane I was able to relax, that is until take off which scared me to death.  I couldn't even bear to think of what the landing would be like!  Dramamine became my close friend.  I was a white knuckler for sure.  And turbulence, oh there was turbulence all right.  But, once we were in the air and I was able to corral my fears, I loved it.  We went to Dallas--it has a huge airport, full of people speaking many languages and going in different directions.  It was exciting.  And that was when I knew--I was addicted to travel, to airports and to anything that used the words let's go!  

I love to get to the airport early so that I can participate in one of my favorite hobbies.  When I arrive one of the first things that I do is people watch.  I don't mean to, it just happens.  Someone or something will grab my attention and there I go--watching them.  They are so interesting--those airport people.  They come in all ethnic groups, all shapes, and sizes, ages, and colors.  Some are loud--yelling their sentences rather than saying them and some are quiet--they are usually the readers.

One of my favorite things to do upon arriving after going through security is to get a coffee and just sit and analyze all the folks within my field of vision.  Just looking at their choice of clothing can take hours of conjecturing.  Some are in sweats and slippers and look as though they've just rolled out of bed.   In fact, they've even brought their pillow with them.  While others are dressed for a night on the town.  They are the ones who want you to notice their jewelry and handbags.  And I love looking at the clothing that teenagers wear.  They're trying hard to look so cool only to really give off a look of insecurity and loneliness.  And then there are the old people.  They are so cute, with their canes and white hair--walking slowly down the hallways as the mad dashers who are late for their flights go barreling past.  They are the businessmen.  Oh so important--they are usually on their cell phones, yakking away oblivious to everyone--in their own little world.

I also like to try and guess at relationships of the people around me.  I like to watch how couples interact, and I like to see how parents treat their children.  Are they frustrated, tired and already sick of vacationing?  Or are they excited, anticipating adventure and fun?  I would love to interview them.
Hello, I'm taking a survey.  Can I ask you a few questions?  Why are you here?  Where are you going?  Do you like the people that you are traveling with?  Are they friend or foe? 


I think that I can safely say that I am now a seasoned traveler who no longer needs Dramamine, I like to dress comfortably, and I like to give myself plenty of time so that I am never in a rush.  I like to savor my time while at the airport.  I know why I am there, I know where I am going and I usually like the people that I am traveling with.  So for me, it's all about the attitude.  It's all about fun.  It's all about adventure.









No comments: