Friday, March 4, 2011

First Love

It wasn't love at first sight for me. It was more like love at first talk.

I had signed up to work at a Native American Indian Reservation in Nevada via our youth group at church. We would be teaching Vacation Bible School to the children for one week among various other duties.  He also had signed up.  He was a natural born leader and was soon promoted to captain of our little team. After a few weeks of training, we were off to Nevada.

Right away I knew he liked me.  There were signs.  He followed me everywhere and cracked funny little jokes to make me laugh.  I thought he was nice, but not really my type—although he was kind of cute.

One afternoon we had some free time and he and I decided to take a walk out into the hot desert sun—and 4 hours later, after a long interesting conversation, I knew.  I just knew.  He was the one.  He talked, as well as listened.  He was real, there was no game playing.  He was truthful and honest, with a great big heart.  He was able to share his thoughts, emotions, and dreams with me from the beginning.   All this--before we even went on a real date.  We were kindred spirits I guess, destined to meet and fall in love.

When I returned home at the end of that week I remember telling my mom that I had met the guy I would one day marry.  Funny thing is, she believed me.  Half an hour later he called and asked me on a date, and the rest, as they say, is history!  After that first date, we became inseparable.  We were friends.  Real friends.  True friends.

A couple of years later we married.  We've been together now for almost 39 yrs.

And as it's turned out, my husband--well, he is the yin to my yang, he's the practical to my frivolity, he's the pessimist to my optimist.  And yet, we work--we fit.  I love him.  He was my first love, and he is and always will be my only love.

Falling softly, eyes that know me, and I can't go back--from the movie Once.





1 comment:

NaperDude said...

This brings up so many memories, especially the numb arm after hours and hours of "having my arm around her" on the ride home from Nevada - but acutually my arm was on the top of the bench seat :-) Wonder if she ever knew...