Saturday, April 19, 2014

Shiner

That's what I ended up with all right--a shiner and a laceration of about one and one-half inches next to my right eye.  I don't remember much.  Just that I'd had an awesome day.  I had been out shopping and lunching with a friend, then we had decided to meet back up later that same afternoon to check out a little pop-up shop that would be in our town for the next 3 days.  Afterward, I was to drive home and throw a tri-tip on the barbie.  But, I didn't.  And that's when it all went wrong.

It was about 6:00 on a Friday evening, a glorious spring day and I thought--I should call my husband and ask him to walk into town and meet me for dinner.  My car was already downtown and I thought it would be easy to just drive home together afterward.  We live just a half mile away--so close.

I remember walking across the street to a restaurant close by and putting our name in for a table for 2 out on the patio.  We love that particular patio, it's great for people watching.  My husband soon strolled up and we walked inside to check on the status of our table--the place was packed with others having the same idea.  It was a little warm in there for me, so I told him that I was just going to step outside.  I needed some fresh air.

Do you know what tunnel vision is?  Yeah.  I got that feeling along with a clamminess and as I was looking for a bench to sit down on, I passed right out.  Right there on the sidewalk, smacking the right side of my face hard, splitting it open.  I was apparently "knocked out" for several minutes.  I remember none of this of course, but this is what was told to me later.

What I do remember is this--slowly awaking to voices talking about my pulse.  I remember probing fingers checking underneath my neck and also on my wrist.  I could feel someone tugging at my handbag, trying to get to my wallet for an ID.  Once found they rushed into the restaurant calling my husband's name.  I heard his voice but still had not opened my eyes.  I hear another male voice and also a female voice--I believe they were the ones who were taking such good care of me.  I heard someone say that the ambulance was on its way and then I heard sirens.  Still, I had not yet opened my eyes.

When the EMT's got there, things began to move quickly.  I tried to sit up and focus--I saw wadded up blood soaked towels (from the restaurant) where my head had been but then immediately had to lay my head back down as things began to once again spin out of control.  I was eventually loaded up onto a gurney and whisked away to our local hospital.  My husband followed in my car.  I was later glad that I had mentioned to him just exactly where I had parked.

Once in the ER, many tests were taken.  CT, X-rays, blood panel, etc.  All came back negative.  I was in the hospital for a mere 6 hours.  I was fortunate to walk away with a concussion, a one and a half inch laceration and a huge black (and later purple and yellow) eye. The diagnoses came back as
Vasovagal Syncope.  It caused me to faint.  I just wish I hadn't smacked my head so hard on the cement.  It was all the blood that freaked everyone out.  And which prompted my lovely trip to the ER.

Of course, I will have to go for a further check up with my regular doctor, but I am satisfied with the diagnoses that I received from the hospital.  Next time I feel that clammy, tunnel vision type of feeling coming on, I will immediately sit down wherever I am.  It's a much shorter distance to the ground that way!

It's now been about 10 days, I am feeling much better, the swelling is going down, the colors of my eye are changing like the colors of fall, and I am far less dizzy.  I am taking it easy, not making any sudden head movements and getting back to my normal daily routines.

I am so very thankful for those that came to my assistance--for those who just happened to be in the right place at the right time, for my husband, for the EMT's and ER staff.  Everyone was wonderful, caring and kind.  I am very grateful.  All is well.  And God is good.



No comments: