Thursday, December 26, 2019

Batman PJ's

For me, there's always one moment of pure enjoyment at every family gathering.  One you just know you're going to remember for years to come.  Those are the moments I like to write about. And of course, this Christmas didn't disappoint.  I actually look for them, I know they're coming, so, why not be ready.

Our youngest grandson just turned 4 years old.  Everything is exciting to him.  He doesn't talk, he yells.  Every sentence ends with a loud exclamation point.  And I mean everything.  When I asked him what he wanted for Christmas this year he yelled (right in my face) Batman footy pajamas!!!

Being the awesomely wonderful overly indulgent grandmother that I am, I went on a quest to find the best of the best in footy PJs.  And find them I did.  They were winged.  That's right-winged.  So cute.  So awesome.  I knew he'd love them.

I was probably more excited then he was at Christmas.  I'm like a big kid myself.  I love to decorate, cook, entertain, and surprise my grandkids with fun gifts.  I couldn't wait for the entire family to be under my roof.  We had our traditional prime rib dinner, and then--it was present time.  I played Santa this year and one by one the grandkids (7 of them) opened their gifts from aunts, uncles, grandma, and grandpa.  I held back the PJs until almost the very end.  And then--he opened them.  Well, let's just say he put on the best show ever.

Within seconds he had stripped down to his undies yelling, can I wear them?  Can I wear them?  And was immediately in the process of getting those Batman pajamas on his little body.  It was hilarious.  The entire room was in shock and laughing.  We tried to help him, but he's super independent and was determined to be dressed and flying through the room quickly.

It was awesome.  He was so excited.  The winged PJs was a huge success.  He loved them.  He began running through our house imitating Batman.  It was great.  I took tons of pictures, and I look forward to one day showing them to him.  What a memory, I know I'll think about that day for years to come.

And that's what Christmas is all about for me, my grandkids.  I love going to church on Christmas Eve, watching their little faces glow in the candlelight.  I love coming back to grandma's house and having all our fun foods and snacks.  I love watching them peer under the tree, wondering just what grandma bought them this year.  It's so much fun.  I hope that they remember these times also.

I find that I am already looking forward to next year.  I am wondering what our next funny antic will be--who will it be, and what will it be about?  I'll have my camera ready.  And one day, they'll be looking through grandma's pictures and laughing hard at all the fun times we had and hopefully, they'll be anticipating future family times with their own children.  Hopefully, they'll say to their spouses--wait, let's do it like grandma did and carry on the traditions and make memories of their own.  Hopefully, they'll have their cameras ready, because you never know--when fun will be just around the corner--in Batman PJs.


No comments: