Thursday, March 7, 2013

What's In A Name

I don't know if I read this or heard it.  I just know that sometime in the last couple of weeks this thought has been rattling around in my brain.  I've been thinking about the way God named people, or more specifically how he changed people's names at different times in the Bible.  I then, of course, thought about my own name and how different it is compared to my friends or family member's names.  My thoughts then took me into the direction of--who really named me?  God?  Or my mother?

And then just a couple of days ago I found this cute quote on Pinterest saying--

Dear Parents, Thank you for giving me such a weird name.
Sincerely, the child who doesn't have a customized key chain.

Yes, my name is weird alrighty.  Strange, different, unlike, dissimilar, unusual, and odd, and yet it is mine.  Like I've mentioned previously, I've decided to embrace my name.  I've decided to like it.  It is peculiar--unless of course, you understand the meaning--the definition of, the true interpretation of--my name.  And that is what I believe God was trying to get through to me these last couple of days.  I believe that He was saying to me--I named you.  I gave you that name for a reason.  Now it's up to you to live up to the name that I've called you! 

We are told in the Bible that He calls us by name.  We are told in the Bible that He has at different times renamed people.  So, it is my belief and understanding that names just might be of some importance to God.  I'm kind of wishing that I had thought about this a little more before I named my own children, but, oh well.  Anyway, this is about my name.  I am smiling while I write this.  I wouldn't want anyone to think I was being serious right then.  I do tend to have a sarcastic sense of humor.  So, I will let God take care of showing my children what he wishes them to know about their names.  It could be that their particular names mean something that I am totally unaware of at this time.  Maybe I'll look into that some day.  But, I digress.

I am quite certain that when my parents named me all those many years ago--they did not know that "Veda" means life.  I think I was somewhere in my 20's when someone from another country gave me that bit of information.  Life.  I think that fits.  I looked up the word life and I really liked these 3 definitions--they resonated with me.

vivacityanimationlivelinessvitalityvervehigh spiritsexuberancezestbuoyancyenthusiasmenergyvigordynamismelangustobriobouncespiritfiremovementoomphpizzazzpepzingzipvim.moving spiritvital spiritspiritlife forcelifebloodheartsoul.personhuman beingindividualsoul.
I loved reading these definitions.  And with all my heart I truly believe that God gave me my name. So then, I have a lot to live up to, don't I?  And, I have a lot to live for.  I am thankful for my name.  It fits.I never knew that before.  It really does fit.  My life.  My sweet life, living it for my God.  Joyfully and happily.Prayerfully and thankfully.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You truly are one crazy and fun loving person. I love you - Jerry