Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Voice Box

I just remembered something.  I was caught off guard, just minding my own business, drying my hair actually.  When I was reminded of something.  A long time ago, when I was still just a little girl I met someone.  He was a relative of my father's.  I remember being at a relative's house, a family gathering of sorts.  This particular man could not speak.  He didn't have a voice box.  I was told after the fact that he had had cancer and it had been removed.  So, in order to communicate, he had a little gizmo that he held up to his throat and he would then begin to talk in a robotic sounding voice.

It scared me a little, I was still pretty young after all.  I would watch him listen intently to the others in the room and then when he had something to say, he'd sort of wave his arms around, put the gizmo up to the place where his voice box should have been and talk.  How sad.  No voice.  No way to sing.  I'm not kidding, that's exactly what I thought when I met him.  No way to sing.

I only remember ever seeing him once.  However, he impacted my life.  I never ever want to be without my voice.  You see, I want to be able to sing and praise my God until I take my very last breath.  And, just to let you in on a little secret--even if I do end up having to talk through an external device--well, you'll still be hearing me.  I'll be singing and shouting and praising and worshiping.  You bet I will.

I've got a voice, I've got hands, I've got a message, I'm going to get the word out any way I can.  I'm not going to wait until I lose the ability to sing and praise.  I'm not going to wait until my arms are too old and tired, too filled with arthritis.  No, I'm going to do it now--loudly, happily, exuberantly before my God.

And, I'm glad I met that man so long ago.  He gave me the courage not to worry about what anyone else might think of me.  He gave me the courage to speak out for God, to sing to Him.  With my own voice box.  I am not ashamed of whom I serve, believe in, and trust with all my heart.  No, I am not.  So I will sing.  Loudly.  Thankfully.  Gratefully.  Hands held high.  Face turned towards Him.  Heart melted.  Singing...

No comments: