Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Busy, Busy

Wow, to say I've been busy these last several weeks would be an understatement.  And the next few weeks ahead, fortunately, yes, I said, fortunately, look just the same.  In fact, the next few months look busy, and that's just how I like it.  Busy, busy.

I guess God made me that way.  I don't need a lot of downtime.  I don't sleep a lot, I don't rest a lot.  I move a lot.  As in, I never sit still.  Maybe that's why I like writing, it forces me to sit.  I love to read too, which also forces me to sit a spell.  I guess you'd call those times the times I relax.  I just need a little bit each afternoon, to read, to write, to reflect.  That's what I'm doing now.  I'm reflecting.

As I sit here typing away on my laptop I'm thinking about the little boy that I've agreed to support for the next several years.  He lives in the Republic of Congo.  My little church, my friends--between us we are supporting 70 Congo Kids.  I am elated.  I get to help, even if it's just in some small way, I get to help.  So, this morning I was putting together a little gift to mail to my little boy.  He is as cute as a button.  The minute I saw his little face, I knew I wanted him.  He reminded me of my nephew who is now in heaven.  He has the same eyes and the same serious little look.  And because of his little face, he became my little boy in the Congo.  It's strange sometimes, what God uses to draw us to others.

Anyway, back to my gift for him--it has to fit in a 6x9 envelope.  What?  What in the world could possibly fit in an envelope that small?  World Vision gave some suggestions, which sounded so boring to me.  I was more than a little upset.  Why?  Because I wanted to give that little boy a Christmas like I used to give my children.  However, because of the volatile location of the world in which he lives, I can only send him little bits at a time.  And that makes me sad.  Very sad.

I have gathered stickers, pencils, notepads and a harmonica!  Yes, a blue harmonica.  I am praying that it makes it through customs, that it's is not stolen, or broken on it's long journey to the Congo.  I am also including a picture of my husband and me, and a Christmas card, letting him know how much we care.  My husband is also supporting a little girl from the same village.  Guess who did her Christmas shopping?  I'll give you a clue, it wasn't him!  That's OK though, as long as she receives something, she'll be happy, I'm sure.

So yes, it's been busy, busy around here.  After Thanksgiving, I hit the ground running. With internet shopping, mall strolling, house decorating, party planning, and card writing--I am busy.  But, oh how I love it.  Coffee with friends, browsing my little town, driving through streets filled with beautiful Christmas lights, thinking about God and how He has completely and wonderfully blessed my life--yes, I am busy, busy--and that's just how I like it.


No comments: