Wednesday, October 12, 2011

New in the Ville

That's what they call it here--the Ville.  I love it, it's a fitting name for this vibrant little city--really named Naperville.  We moved here a little over a year ago.  So in some respect, I am still a newbie--still finding my way around and still loving this small city of mine.  We looked forever for a home--our poor realtor.  I'm sure that after showing me 1 million houses (at least I'm sure it seemed like that many to her) she was ready to wring my neck.  But honestly, I just couldn't find a good fit for us.  I kept telling her, I'll know it when I see it.

Not being from Chicagoland--not even knowing that it referred to itself as Chicagoland--I didn't know the area.  I kept using the website citydata.com and trying hard to figure out which little suburb was going to be our new place of residence.  We initially thought it might be right downtown Chicago, but soon realized that we'd get more bang for our buck in the burbs.

We looked through every little burg--trying to find just the right house.  We were shown 4 square homes, but the rooms were too small, we were shown older family style homes, but the houses looked sad, as if to say, don't buy me I want a house filled with kids, we were shown townhomes, but there was no yard for the dog.  I bet in total our realtor showed us 80 to 90 houses.  Poor thing, I bet she hates me now.

After looking through the many little towns of Chicagoland we settled upon Naperville--the Ville as they call it.  It had everything going for it--a cute little downtown with a river running through it, and lots and lots of restaurants.  We knew it was our kind of place.  It seemed that great detail had gone into the layout of this small city.  From the river walk to the covered bridges to the quaint little shops--it was love at first sight.  I fought it a little at first, it was too far from all the action of the big city.  However, over time, and after looking at many different neighborhoods, I began to see the beauty of this little gem.

And then I found it--just as I knew I would--the perfect little home for us.  It needed tons of work, but that was OK with us, we lived in a hotel for a few weeks and got it all done.  We now have the most awesome neighbors who have become good friends--I am very thankful for them.

We moved here in the summer--the home we settled on was right on the river, close to downtown.  We could walk right in for dinner while strolling along the river.  Also, we learned all about the local critters.  Yep, I said critters.  We met them by accident.  One evening while walking our dog we noticed that we were being followed by 2 coyotes.  We were more than a little unnerved, we'd stomp our feet, wave our arms and yell and they would just pause, look and continue to follow.  We started walking with pepper spray--just in case.  We have also seen beaver, raccoon (yes, we have our own now) and rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, ducks and one evening even a deer.  Again remember we live within a short little walk into downtown.  I guess the little critters don't mind being so close to people, after all, we are all just part of the Ville.

Life in our new home and the new town is exciting, to say the least.  I love the little critters, the river walk, the shops, the fountains, the covered bridges, the paddle-boats and the beach--yes, I said beach.  It's a huge man-made swimming pool that looks like a beach.  It's pretty awesome!  But I think most of all (because I am a foodie) I love all the many choices for dining out.  There is seriously something for everyone.  From fast food to bistros with live music, to upscale dining with white tablecloths, to outdoor patio dining--the Ville has something for everyone.  Casual or fancy, we've got it covered.

So, in a nutshell, if I had to describe my little town, I think I'd say it this way--upscale casual, resort living in a relaxed picturesque setting, with some old world charm thrown in, close to a huge city, with all its conveniences and yet quintessentially midwest.

The people here are amazing--kind, friendly, helpful.  The food is great, and the atmosphere is wonderful.
Is it any wonder why we are thoroughly enjoying our sweet new life in the Ville?



No comments: