Monday, October 10, 2011

Grandfathers

Grandpa
When I think of you
I remember goats and roosters
I remember your old truck
and buying milk in giant cans

I remember sitting on your lap
and wanting to drink your coffee
I remember your little sayings
it'll make your feet turn black

I remember walking to the backfield
and picking berries for a cobbler
I remember gathering eggs
from the barn

I remember the knotty pine
living room and the big kitchen
especially the old stove
where grandma cooked for us

I remember you falling
asleep on the sofa and snoring
I remember the vases of feathers
from the pheasants, you used to hunt

Don't worry grandpa
even though I was only
6 years old when you died
I remember you

Paw Paw
When I think of you
I remember watermelon
and cantaloupe
fried chicken and okra

I remember small
little houses
with Venetian blinds
and little-fenced yards

I remember you teaching me
to play cards
Rummy and Dominos
and also Monopoly

I remember you sitting
in your chair with the ottoman
peeling potatoes
and shucking corn

I remember you taking
me fishing for perch
along the riverbanks
and getting to bait my own hook

And I will be forever
thankful that you were able
to meet all of my children
before leaving this earth

No comments: