Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Humbleness

My husband made a comment to me last night.  I'm going to share it here, without permission.  You know what they say--better to ask for forgiveness.  If I thought he'd be upset though, I wouldn't share it, don't worry.  So anyway, the comment--he said, I've never felt so humbled in my life.

Let me explain what is going on.  Since this little story affects the both of us, I am taking the liberty to share.  I guess I'll find out what he thinks later.  We belong to a local Covenant church, and my husband is preparing to go to the Congo with several others from our denomination.  They have had a presence in the Congo for 75 years now.  Taking and shipping over medical supplies, food goods, and investing financially.  And now our denomination is working with World Vision--called Covenant Congo Kids.  I am very proud of my little church, we are small but mighty.  A congregation of a little over 200 and yet we support 71 children in the Congo.   We are committed financially to send money monthly until they reach the age of 18.  We send over small gifts throughout the year, and we pray for them every day.  We take this commitment very seriously.

An opportunity came up in our church a few weeks ago.  Our congregation was asked if there might be a few people who would have the heart and the passion for going with a team and visiting the Congo, they would also get to meet the children that we support, and work alongside other missionaries--doing, caring and giving as much as possible.  The minute the announcement was made, I knew that if there had been a show of hands, my husband's would have been the first to shoot up.  I knew, that I knew, he was going to the Congo.  I wonder now if I knew it even before he did.  When we got into our car after church I patiently waited as he gathered his thoughts.  He then faced me and said--I want to go.  God is calling me to go.  All I could do was look at him, and with tears streaming down both our faces I said--I know.

He leaves in a few short weeks.  He has been preparing like a crazy person.  He'll only be gone for 2 weeks, however, by the passion, the heart, and the intensity--one might think he was moving there for good!  He watches videos, reads books, and talks to others who've been.  He talks incessantly about his trip to anyone, and I do mean anyone who will listen.  And he cries, he tears up and is greatly moved by anything Congo-related.  I've never seen him like this before and we have been a couple for 41 years.  This my friends is life changing.  And he hasn't even left yet.

Now for the first time in my husband's life, he has had to ask for help.  Normally he's the one helping out.  Whether it be financial, good ol' hard labor, or praying for others--whatever someone has need of, he's one of the first to volunteer.  That's just how he is.  This time around though, he's not supposed to rely on himself.  He's supposed to itinerate.  You know--ask for money.  And then, he's supposed to pray and trust God that the money will come in and that his trip will be provided for through our church congregation and other donations.  I know him.  He'd rather pay for this trip on his own.  He'd rather not impose on anyone.  However, the truth is this--if we had to pay for it on our own, he wouldn't be going.  We couldn't swing it right now--the cost is too great.  And I believe that this little trip came up at just the right time.  A time when our own finances are lean, but we all know that God's finances aren't ever lean, are they?

My husband and the others wrote letters.  They are letters detailing the plans of the trip, sharing their hearts and reasons for wanting to go and then lastly asking for support--of finances and prayer.  This was a very hard thing for my husband to do--but oh, what growth!  I wish you could be here to see it with me.  As people commit to supporting his team, tears fall down his face and he is humbled by the graciousness of our God.  God is making a way for this little team, from this little church to travel to the Congo.

If you are reading this--please pray for their safety.  It is dangerous, and scary, especially for those of us who will be waiting at home, praying that they will be brought back safely to us.  Pray that they are changed, that they are humbled before their God, and that this would be the first of many more trips to the Congo.  This, I know--is my husband's, heart.


No comments: