Monday, May 14, 2012

Newspaper Article

I woke up at 5:15 am, still a little giddy over this week's newspaper article.  It happened this way.  A few weeks back I received an email from a writer for our local newspaper.  She asked if she could write about my blog.  She wanted to interview me over the phone, so of course, I said yes.  I have to admit, nothing and I mean nothing like this has ever happened to me before.  I have not ever done anything remotely momentous in the respect that someone would actually want to write about it.

I was nervous when she called to interview me.  I was sitting in my big brown leather rocker recliner--rocking quickly back and forth and it seemed to me that I was saying a lot of um's and hmmm, let me think about that for a minute.  I wanted desperately to come across somewhat intelligent, so I thought to myself if I take my time answering these questions, I just might do an OK job.  I spoke slowly and deliberately and within 20 minutes or so we were finished.

She asked me some basic questions and also some harder ones, some thinker questions.  For example, she asked me what was your favorite blog?  My favorite blog?  For me, that would be like trying to pick a favorite kid!  However, one particular blog did pop into my mind.  The one called My Real Dad.  Out of all the blogs I have posted, that piece has my total heart.  It captures the very essence of who I truly am.  And it still brings tears to my eyes when I read it.

She also asked me why I had started writing a blog in the first place.  Well, that was also a little hard to answer.  Why did I start writing?  Hmmm, I said--I guess I wanted to unlock memories.  I wanted my children and grandchildren to have what I do not.  Knowledge.  I wanted them to intimately know me as a woman, a person, a friend, and not just as a mom or grandmother.

My husband is over the top excited immediately wanted to take pictures of me out on our back deck, as a recent picture was needed of me for the article.  He came armed with cameras and lenses and tripods, and he actually took some pretty good photos (despite the true fact that I am the complete opposite of photogenic) one of which I used to email to her for the article.

And then a couple of nights ago as my husband walked in the door after walking our dog--with a big grin on his face he said--guess what one of our neighbors gave me?  Your blog is in the paper!

I do not believe it was until that very moment that I realized that people, actual real live people, like neighbors and friends, were going to be able to see a picture of me and read an article about my blog in the newspaper and that those newspapers would be delivered to their homes!  I stood there a little bit shell-shocked.  And, little did I know that my friends and neighbors with whom we were going to be with that evening had all read the article and had saved their copies for me to keep.  My friends are all very supportive, which makes me feel awesome!

Yes, this has been a very good week.  What a wonderful experience this has been for me.  I have stepped out of my comfort zone to share my life with my family and friends and what a true blessing it has been to be able to write and know that somewhere people are reading my blog and enjoying it.  It makes me so happy.  I am encouraged to keep on writing--about the silly and the serious, about the memories and the present, about the sometimes sad and the oh so sweet times--which is all about my life.  Thank you for reading my blog.

No comments: